Office of the Assessor
To provide a fair and equitable assessment of each and every property within the Town of Johnsburg.
· Determine and maintain assessments, property inventory records, maps, ownership and exemptions on approximately 3,600 parcels.
· Ensure that the assessments are based on the property's current inventory by inspecting new construction and improvements made to existing structures.
· Process sales and transfers of property and maintain a sales book of properties that sold within our town.
· Assist taxpayers with completing their exemption applications and determine their eligibility.
· Establish a taxable value for all Real Property subject to taxation. List the values of all property on the yearly Assessment Roll.
· Assist the public with general data, valuation and equity questions, exemptions and grievances.
· Number of parcels ~ 3567 (Residential 1700, Vacant Land 900, Parks/Wild/Forest 750)
· Land Size ~ 207 Square Miles or 132,480 Acres
· About 58 percent of the land, is owned by the State of New York and is deemed “forever wild”
· Fewer than 40 percent of the homes are owned by year-round residents
· Level of Assessment ~ 2%
· Effective Tax Rate ~ 1.85%
· March 1st – Deadline for Exemptions & Taxable Status Date (property inventory as of this date)
· May 1st – Tentative Assessment Roll filed. Change of assessment notices are mailed
· 4th Tuesday in May – Grievance Day - Board of Assessment Review meets to hear all taxpayers complaints regarding assessments - 4-8 pm in the Library
· July 1st – Final Assessment Roll filed & Valuation date
STAR Basic ~ School Tax Relief Exemption for owner-occupied primary residences for any age, income less than $500,000.
STAR Enhanced ~ School Tax Relief Exemption for those 65 and over during the year of allocation, income must be under $84,550 and property has to be the primary residence. Must re-apply each year unless you have signed up for the Income Verification Program (IVP)
Senior Citizens ~ Property Tax Exemptions for seniors 65 and over with limited income. Property must be the primary residence. Total annual income for all people residing in dwelling from all sources must be less than $32,400. This exemption requires renewal each year.
Veterans ~ Property Tax Exemptions for those who served in any Branch of the Armed Forces and have been honorably discharged. Wartime and Cold war periods apply. The property must be the primary residence. Copy of DD214 (Service Record) is necessary to process application.
Your mailing address information is maintained by the Assessor's Office as the primary means of the Town corresponding with you. Your mailing address is used for many purposes including:
· Property & School Tax billing
· North Creek Water District billing
· To alert you of new or changing property tax exemptions and to send out renewal applications yearly
· To advise you of any pending zoning issues that might effect your property
· To inform you of any changes in your assessment
· NYS uses this address to send out the Tax Freeze Credit Checks yearly
Help us keep our records current by informing us of any changes of address. You can do this by calling or emailing the Assessor or using our online property mailing address change form.
[4th Tuesday in May from 4-8pm]
· Lloyd Burch
· Anne Deppe
· Candace Lomax
· James Smith
· Kimberly Smith
Frequently Asked Questions
Board of Assessment Review