|Comments: These 45 cars, built in the company shops, comprised
the largest type operated by the City & Suburban Railway and soon came
to be known as "standards." There is some question about the builder's
date, which may've actually extended from 1892 to 1894. The first
C & S series, No.'s 51-74 were built in 1891 (they became PRL&P
During the next two years C&S was in the process of rebuilding (splicing)
a number of former horsecars to form the 35-49 series (these became PRL&P
No.'s 151-165). It is, therefore, reasonable to assume that the 100
class "standards" followed to become the next project at the Savier Street
Carbarn, rolling out between 1893 and 1894.
Cars 100-146 saw service on nearly all the narrow gauge (42") lines,
being used regularly on those lines that were not heavily patronized.
Two cars, numbered 100 and 101 were remodeled for an experimental articulated
unit in 1914 (this vehicle is covered on its own page).
The C&S Standards were plain, but handsome, high-riding cars with
9-window sides. They are sometimes confused with earlier C&S
cars numbered in the 40's through 70's, but were actually much longer.
Though past their prime, PRL&P kept this series in regular use as
trippers and on stub lines until the arrival of the Birneys in 1919.
They remained in light use throughout the 1920s, filling in as needed,
or being leased out to other companies (such as the Kenton Traction Company,
which never remodeled the C&S Standards for one-man operation).
With the exception of one car, they lasted well into the 1930's.
Retirement: 1926 = 126; 1933 = 101, 103, 107, 116, 119,
122, 127, 132, 137, 138, 144-46; 1936 = 100, 102, 104-06, 108-15, 117-18,
120-21, 124-25, 128-31, 133-36, 139-41, 143; 1937 = 142; 1938 = 123.
Technical Notes: The roster of the Kenton Traction Co.
varied, but in 1919 it included C&S Standards 103, 104, 137 & 138.
Kenton is also known to have used No. 110.
The Parkrose Line probably leased 100's.
No.'s 103 & 132 were listed as unserviceable in 1928.
No.'s 139 & 140 listed as 4, GE-58 in later years (rest remained
Brakes were GE emergency air SF-4 except No's 137, 139, 140, 143 &
146 which retained National straight air J.
In 1920 No.'s 100, 101, 119, 127-31, 133-34 and 141-46 were converted
to one-man operation. In 1922 No. 104 was converted. All of
the rest were one-manned in 1926 (some say 1921).
Curiously, several cars in this series had the electric heaters on their
platforms removed and placed in other cars in 1929, seven years before
they were officially retired. No. 102's went to No. 356; 139 to 349
and 140 to 355.
The K-6 controllers on No. 139 were replaced with K-11's in 1926, probably
when its motors were reduced from four to two (this must have also been
done with No. 140).
No.'s 139 and 140 had snow scrappers added and were listed as class
J in 1925.
Although No. 123 was the last car of this group to be retired (in 1938),
its motors were removed in 1927, and it was listed as unserviceable in
There is another discrepancy regarding No. 123. Some notes indicate
it was originally part of the Portland & Vancouver Railway fleet, which
had electrified its line in 1893. But, that would mean No. 123 would
not have been built until that date, or possibly 1894. Some have
even argued that some of these cars were not built until 1903. Also,
if No. 123 was built by
Portland & Vancouver Railway, how would it have been listed with
the rest of the C&S "standards" since the Portland & Vancouver
line never belonged to C&S?