Portland Vintage Trolleys Logo

East Side Interurbans

Portland Vintage Trolleys

Return to 
Car Rosters

No. 1037

No.'s  1036-1037
Indianapolis Car, Brill or local (see below)
Two, Columbia Car & Tool (OWP "Standard")
Two, GE-57 (50 h.p.)
Two, GE K-11
Christiansen Straight Air, later Westinghouse AMM
38' (possibly 38' 3")
8' 6"
31,700 lbs
16 Hale & Kilburn cross, 4 short longitudinal
40 passengers, 56 with standees
Standard (56 1/2")

Comments:   These former East Side Railway cars date from the beginning of interurban railways.  Like ships, they originally bore women's names rather than numbers (probably Helen and Rose).  Successors Portland City & Oregon, and then Oregon Water Power changed these to numbers 36 and 37.

East Side's first interurbans were single truck, seven window-sided, Pullmans with open platforms, borrowed from city line service.  When these proved inadequate they were replaced with double-truck interurbans built locally by the Columbia Car & Tool Works, that are often held to be the first "true interurbans." The Columbia cars were likely created by splicing single truck vehicles together.  Orders were also placed with out of state manufacturers during this period, which complicates matters for those tracing railway rosters.

With their 12-window sides and railroad roofs East Side No's 1036 and 1037 did not resemble other locally-built cars, such as the Eve, which featured shorter ten window (probably convertible) sides and "bay window" platforms that were originally open.

For reasons such as these Historians John Labbe and David Stearns, concluded that these interurbans were part of a series built by Indianapolis Car Co.  Other sources do not agree.  Old records sometimes ascribed these cars to "OWP" (Columbia Car & Tool Works), while Randall Mills thought 1036 was a product of the J.G. Brill Company and 1037 (as well as 1038 and 1046) was from the Indianapolis Car Company.  We may never know for certain.

Retirement:  1913 = 1036   1924 = 1037  

Technical Notes: 
No 1036 was listed as out of service and of no value in 1913.  1916 records showed it in storage without trucks and equipment in Milwaukie (by which time the old carbarn there was no longer in use).

No. 1037 got Nelson Safety Fenders in 1912, at which time it was listed as having two Stanley 401 motors instead of G.E's.  It was sent to Salem in 1911, along with No. 1035, but was returned in 1914 and placed in service on the Murraymead Line.  A 1922 field check indicated the car was 38' 3" long instead of 38' (because of the fenders?).

Return to Home Page

© ETConsulting 2009