|Comments: These three cars were PRL&P's only half open,
half closed, all-weather cars. The second Portland Traction Company
had several "California style" cable cars which they had converted to electric
operation, but those cars did not survive into the PRL&P days.
The Hand Manufacturing Company built this series for the City
& Suburban Railway Company by splicing together two horsecars for each
new trolley. They were originally numbered 78-80, and these numbers were
carried over into the Portland Consolidated Railway Company days as well.
PRL&P No.'s 147-149 were used on the East Ankeny, Sunnyside
and Mount Tabor lines. These cars may also have been used on the old
Burnside Street Line, which was dropped in 1915. Their half-open design
was apparently not popular with the company and they were retired early.
Retirement: Motors and equipment were removed
from this series by 1917 after which they were likely stored at Ankeny Carhouse.
All were officially retired in 1920.
Technical Notes: Automatic Nelson Safety fenders
were added to No. 147 in 1912, and to the other two cars in 1913.
During the PRL&P days these cars may have had a controller
at each end like most trolleys. At least No. 149 is listed as
having one K-10 controller and one K-11.