Portland Vintage Trolleys Logo

The Torontos

   Portland Vintage Trolleys

Return to
Car Rosters

No. 461
No.  451-465
ca. 1905
City & Suburban Ry. Co.
Two, Brill 27GE-1 (may not have been original, see below)
Originally two, later four, GE-58 (37.5 h.p.)
Two, GE-K6A
Westinghouse Magnetic (as remodeled)
PR3A (No.'s 451-58), PR4A6B (No.'s 452-57)
  or F3A (No.'s 459-65) controls
37' 9"
7' 9"
16,280 lbs.
20 short cross (12 in body, 4 in each vestibule)
40 passengers (60 with standees)
Narrow (42")
Comments:   This series of cars, built around the time the City & Suburban Ry. was taken over by the Portland Consolidated Ry., were nicknamed Torontos because they were felt to have been patterned after Canadian designs (particularly car No. 450). Although they were convertibles, with removable center section panels, it is thought that none were ever run as open cars. The layout of these cars also featured the large (smoker) vestibules favored by Portland Railway Company General Manager F. I. Fuller. 

The Torontos, bearing their original numbers of 151-165,  went into service in time to serve the Lewis & Clark Exposition of 1905.  Around 1909 they were assigned to service on the Portland Heights Line, even though they had only two motors.  Within four years additional motors and magnetic brakes were added, creating a trolley better suited to work on grades.  This hill line identity remained through the last years,by which time the Tornontos were in use on Arlington Heights, Kings Heights and Westover Lines. 

Retirement: 1936 = 451 & 458;  1938 = 464; 1940 = 462 & 463; 1941 = 452, 459 & 465; 1944 = 453, 455 &461; 
1946 = 460; 1948 = 454 & 457. 

Technical Notes: 
Series received two additional motors and magnetic brakes in 1912.

No.'s 454-55 & 456-57 were converted to one-man operation in 1927.

No.'s 452-53 & 459 were one-manned in 1928.

When No.'s 452-57 and 459 were remodelled for one-man operation thedoors into their vestibules were placed closer to the operator.

No.'s 454-57 may have been rebuilt as single compartment cars (withoutclosable vestibules) in 1927 when the Westover Line was extended to downtown (upgraded from stub service).

No.' 461 listed as having Brill 27G trucks in 1912 (possibly original?).

No. 464 joined the work car fleet for a few months in 1939 when it wasconverted into a salt car. 

No. 452
Return to Home