1. VILLAGE HALL SITE
The Edgerton Town Hall and Park Opera House was
built in 1884 by Von Behren and Shaffer of
It served the town with a place for stage
entertainment, lectures, ceremonies, meetings
and voting. Signatures of actors and speakers
from 1895 through 1906 were still visible on the
walls behind the ticket booth. The town hall was
destroyed by a storm on June 23, 2010 and was
torn down shortly thereafter.
2. TELEGRAPH INSTITUTE
The second house west of the corner of Indiana
and Oak was the site of M.C. McGuire Telegraphic
Institute which operated from 1871 to 1923.
In the first twelve years, the institute
graduated over one hundred telegraph operators.
Mr. McGuire's students worked in nearly every
state in the Union as telegraph operators. He
was also operator and agent for the L.S. & M.S.
The building originally had a second
floor which was removed in later years.
3. HOTEL EDGERTON
On the east corner of Indiana and Oak stood the
Hotel Mortland, built in 1854 by Anson Crosby,
later known as the Crosby House. With its prime
location across the street from the depot, it
served as a temporary home for many travelers.
In 1881 it was the Hotel Arlington, still later
named the Hotel Edgerton. It was dismantled in
4. SITE OF RAILROAD DEPOT
The depot was built to serve the Lake Shore and
Michigan Southern Railroad, the land being
donated by William Trevitt and A.P. Edgerton.
The line was completed to Edgerton in 1855. On
June 8, 1857, the first timetable was issued.
This stretch of track from Toledo to
Kendallville being without turn or curve enabled
the trains to travel at a high rate of speed,
thus the name "Air Line" was used. The next
companies changed the name to New York, Penn
Central, Conrail and now Norfolk and Southern.
The depot was torn down in the 1970's.
5. OAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY
Oars and ironing boards were made by this
company. The factory burned after a few years.
This location was then used by Edgerton
Provisions and then Air Line Mfg. in 1928. In
later years it was known as the Edgerton Canning
6. THE CHARVE THEATER
The Kaiser Grocery Store building was originally
built in 1945 as the Charve Theater.
It operated for 13 years showing movies
every day from 1945 through 1958.
The name "Charve" came from the first
letter of the names of each of the founders (Carl Brady, Herm Kruse,
Kruse, R.T. and Vella Priest,
Movies were shown in other buildings in
town, but this was the only building built and
exclusively used as a theater.
7. SECOND SCHOOL SITE
This is the site of the second school built in
Edgerton, the first being on North Michigan
Avenue northeast of the site of the present town
hall. The third school house was located west of
the Methodist Church and later used as a Masonic
Later, this small building served as
restaurant, pool room and barber shop. This is
the only original store front remaining in the
8. FARNHAM BRICK BLOCK
This business site was established by Daniel
Farnham when in 1855 he built a storeroom. In
1872, he erected a three story brick building
which housed his business and also a Large
ballroom on the third floor. The building along
with several buildings on the east side of
Michigan Avenue burned in 1897.
replaced by a two story building which was also
destroyed by fire in 1920.
The present building was dedicated
as the Edgerton State Bank.
Some of the original foundation stones
are still visible in the basement.
9. SMOKEY ROW
This group of businesses in the prime location
close to the railroad and across the street from
the original Edgerton Town Hall, was given the
name Smokey Row because of a series of fires
which damaged or destroyed various buildings in
the early years.
10. SKELTON HOME
Owen R. Skelton,
born in 1886 to James and Sophia Skelton, was
raised in the family home.
James operated a harness shop on North
Owen graduated from Edgerton High School
in1903 and later from Ohio State University with
a degree in mechanical engineering which
prepared him for
his career in the automotive industry.
The Automotive Hall of Fame credits
Skelton with developing four-wheel hydraulic
brakes, all steel body construction and an
engine mounting system.
He served on the Chrysler board of
directors in 1937 through 1954 and was inducted
into the Automobile Hall of Fame in 2000.
The home was owned by Roy and Margaret
Sanders until her passing in 2015.
11. EDGERTON TELEPHONE EXCHANGE
West on Indiana St. where there is now a vacant
lot stood the Edgerton Telephone Exchange
(1905). The first telephones were installed
earlier (1899). This company started by Emmett
Geaque, was sold to Ohio Standard Telephone in
1932; and thereafter many changes in ownership.
12. EDGERTON ELECTRIC POWER PLANT
On the south side of Indiana St. the electric
power plant was located where Casebere/Perry
garage is now. This was later moved to Bement
St. at the Oak Mfg. Co. site. The power plant
was built by Emmett Geaque who first turned the
power on in 1903 so the Methodist Church could
be illuminated for their dedication ceremony.
13. THE CENTRAL HOTEL
In the late 1800's Edgerton was served by two
The Central Hotel with its downtown
location offered rooms for rent on the second
floor, and the lower floor served various
purposes including a restaurant/sandwich shop, a
produce market and a card room.
The building was torn down in 2001.
14. EDGERTON CIVIL WAR MONUMENT
The Civil War Monument ("Clem")was originally
placed in the middle of the intersection of
Michigan Avenue and Indiana Street.
Funds were raised for the monument to
honor Edgerton's Civil War Soldiers and it was
dedicated on Memorial Day 1912.
The location worked well when the gravel
streets were occupied with horses and wagons,
but with the coming of automobiles and larger
trucks, the monument became an obstacle.
It was moved to its present location in
15. WHEAT HILL
A man-made earthen ramp enabled area farmers to
unload their grain from horse-drawn wagons into
storage bins and railroad cars with a minimum of
effort. The grain was then shipped via railroad.
In this location was also the first freight
office in the township in 1857.
16. EDGERTON MILLING COMPANY
Edgerton enjoyed the convenience of two mills in
One was at the present location of the
Edon Farmer's Coop and the other at this
location on Depot Street.
The mill on Depot Street was apparently
steam- powered as can be seen by the tall smoke
stack on older photos, but was later converted
In 1923 the mill was reopened by Otis
Miller after having been closed for a period of
time due to the death of the previous owner
17. OAK MFG, CO.
Also known as the Basket Factory, the company
was started here after being destroyed by fire
in its Ash Street location. Many types of
baskets were made here, some of them woven by
hand. Logs were purchased locally
from farmers and were hauled to this site where
they were cut into proper lengths. They were
steamed in vats to soften the wood making it
easier to remove the bark. From the vats they
went to the veneering machines where the veneer
was peeled from the logs. This was then cut into
splits of appropriate widths for the various
types of baskets. They were formed then stapled
by machine into baskets. The baskets were then
stacked in drying sheds. When ready they were
hauled to local retailers or shipped to various
buyers around the country.
18. ST. MARYS
In 1855 the Catholic community in the Edgerton
area built the first church on the Adam Hilbert
farm, 4 1/2 miles southeast of Edgerton.
With the coming of the railroad and new
settlers in 1864, it was decided to build a new
Catholic Church in Edgerton.
A lot was purchased on the corner of
Bement and Locust Streets and construction began
The church was completed in 1866 and
finally dedicated in 1881.
The present church building was dedicated
in 1944 and in 1955 the old church building was
given to the Knights of Columbus and moved to
its present location on South Elm Street.
19. BEMENT SCHOOL
The fourth school built in Edgerton was built on
this West Bement site. This was a two story
brick building consisting of four rooms and
served from 1857 until 1905, when the North
Michigan Avenue building was erected in 1905.
The fifth school was the building which
was demolished just south of the present Town
20. MAPLE GROVE CEMETERY
Maple Grove Cemetery was established in 1858. It
is a joint property of the township and the
town. It is said the first person buried here is
a William Preston whose grave site is located in
the middle of the north side. Most of the graves
from the town of Denmark were moved to this
cemetery, among them the prominent Judge Parker
21. THE EDGERTON WOOLEN MILL
The woolen mill was located at the corner of
South Michigan Avenue and
It was built before 1881 as it is
pictured in the 1881 Birds-eye-view drawing of
the village of Edgerton.
One history book said people came from
many miles to have their wool made into yarn and
A fire destroyed the mill in 1926 and it
was never rebuilt.
The Edgerton Historical Museum was given
a blanket by the Casebere family which was
produced at the mill.
22. CLARKSVILLE CEMETERY
This cemetery served the Clarksville area for
many years. There are many Civil War dead buried
here in unmarked graves. Dr. Ladd, a Clarksville
physician, is buried here. Ladd's Lake, located
on the former Ubald Dietsch farm was named for
the doctor who owned the property at that time.
In 1835 Thomas Green, one of the first settlers
in the area, laid out a trail to the
Bellefontaine Road at Williams Center. With
settlers arriving in the area Miller Arrowsmith
surveyed and Elisha Clark and Jacob Wilder
platted Clarksville in October 1836. In 1837 the
first house was built and a mill constructed.
The first school in the area was held in 1837 on
the Blair property. The first store was opened
by Guy Noble in 1839 and the next year he built
the ashery. In l844 Jeradet Ball built the first
bridge over the river. In its prime Clarksville
had a church, two taverns, two stores, two
doctors and about eighteen houses. The mill and
bridge were destroyed by an ice flow on the
river in 1886 and only the bridge was rebuilt in
Nothing remains of Clarksville today due
to the coming of the railroad through Edgerton.
According to old-timers, several of the
Clarksville homes were moved to Edgerton and are
located on north side of Gas Street west of the
present village hall.
24. THE ARK AT CLARKSVILLE
In 1908 Williams County was voted dry, banning
the sale of alcohol.
Defiance County still allowed alcohol
In 1909, Jacob Lahrman and William Cape
launched a floating tavern called "The Ark".
They floated it from Edgerton to the
county line and anchored under the Clarksville
After a short while, when spring rains
threatened to crush the Ark under the bridge, it
was moved farther down stream.
Court injunctions by nearby residents and
the eventual banning of alcohol in Defiance
County soon ended the Ark's hopes for success.
25. FARNHAM CEMETERY
Sally Farnham, mother of Daniel, picked this
site for the Farnham burying ground. Sally died
in 1844 and was one of the first to be buried
here. It also served the Edgerton community for
many years. Daniel bought an iron fence and
reserved one third of the ground for his
descendants. The iron fence was replaced in
26. DANIEL FARNHAM
In 1837 Daniel Farnham brought his mother and
two sisters from New York to Ohio, having built
a house the previous fall on government land he
had purchased. In
1860 and 1862 he purchased this farm. Myron C.
Farnham acquired part of it in 1887 and the
balance in 1897. Meade Farnham purchased the
farm in 1919 and Ron M. Farnham acquired it in
1970. The farm is currently owned by descendant
27. HOLTON MILL SITE
Samuel Holton settled here in 1827 and built the
first mill in the township. It is recorded that
this mill built about 1830 stood on the banks of
Fish Creek about twenty rods upstream from the
bridge. The first child of a pioneer settler
born in this township was that of the Holtons.
Nothing is left of the Holton home or the dam,
but down along the bank of Fish Creek traces of
the mill were visible in recent years.
The mill stone is kept in the Williams
County Historical Museum.
This village was founded and laid out by Judge
Payne C. Parker in 1834 on the north side of the
Bellefontaine Road. He built a frame house and
moved his family here in 1836. Denmark had a
public square, store-room, ashery and
schoolhouse. The town also had the first post
office and tavern in the township. Denmark was
also the first village in the county.
29. BELLEFONTAINE ROAD
This is the only Indian trail in the area
officially surveyed and made a road. This survey
was in 1831. The original road exists to the
west between here and Hamilton, Indiana. Looking
southeast, the front driveway of the Marvin
Dietsch farm is a section of the road, which
originally extended diagonally through the farm.
The house faces this old road thus explaining
its acute angle to the county road in front of
30. VOLNEY CROCKER FARM
In 1888 this 283 acre farm was known as the
Volney Crocker Farm.
He is the man who cleared the land in
Bryan for the Williams County Court House to be
In 1864, Mr. Crocker owned 3/4 of the
farm and W.C. Preston owned the northwest 1/4.
At that time the farm lane which goes
west past the barns was a public road which went
straight west to the St. Joseph River, crossed
the river and connected with S.R. 49 north of
31. BELLEFONTAINE TRAIL
From here the trail angles south and eastward to
the Scioto River. The trail was surveyed only
between Bellefontaine, Ohio and White Pigeon,
Michigan. Originally the trail angled northwest
from this point to the Denmark Bridge.
In 1908 a water tank and coal chute were
installed here to serve the trains of the Lake
Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad. Mina was
considered the halfway point between Cleveland
and Chicago. For many years Mina was a busy
place with trains taking on coal and water.
There was a restaurant in a former dining
car where train crews and local residents would
enjoy a good meal.
33. BUSY CORNER GROCERY AND CABINS
In the early 1900's, the Busy Corner Grocery and
General Store served area residents.
An early letterhead states that Wallace
Stuart was the proprietor and he was a dealer in
eggs, poultry and produce.
The cabins next to the store served
travelers on US Highway 6, halfway between
Cleveland and Chicago.
advertisement stated that restrooms and showers
were located in the rear, a water pump was
located in front of the store, there was an
additional 5 cents charged for each towel
furnished and pails were to be used for refuse
from the basins.
The store operated for many years under
many owners until it closed in the late 1960's.