WELCOME TO THE HISTORY OF FORRESTON!
This website is an effort to collect more information about this small town in Ogle County
in beautiful Northern Illinois.
|The Central House Hotel was a landmark in Forreston for decades. It was razed in 1957.
"Hometown Heroes - Military Roll of Honor" books are now available! Included are military
personnel from the Adeline, Baileyville, Brookville, Florence, Forreston, German Valley, Haldane, Harper, and Leaf River areas
of Northern Illinois. Please use the links to the left to order your book or for more information. Cost is $35 and quantities are
limited to one printing. The book has been compiled by Kathy Pasch in conjunction with American Legion Post
Book distribution occurred Dec. 17 and 19, 2009 at Forreston Library. To purchase a book send
$35 plus $5 shipping per book to:
American Legion Post 308
P.O. Box 314
Forreston, IL 61030
Or for more information please call Henry Huenefeld at 815-938-3243 or email email@example.com
Join our group Forreston Illinois History on Facebook!
FORRESTON BUSINESSES IN 2009!
Use the link above to find out what is happening in Forreston,
Illinois - a great little town in Northern Illinois!
I am always looking for information and photos regarding
Some subjects of greater interest include:
- Early Settlers: Included George W. Hewitt, William F. Daniels,
M. Norton, Jacob Halsinger.
- Sauerkraut Day - This event put Forreston on the map!
- The Roundhouse: CB&Q railroad and the Illinois
Central operated a roundhouse in Forreston. No photos are known to exist.
- Pyrography Art Company: Factory located in Forreston that made
burnt wood decorative boxes. A new factory was built in 1912, and later occupied by Beebe Seed and a bowling alley.
- Advertising Scale Company: Factory located in Forreston until
1918 that made decorative tin scales.
- Forreston Dairies: Including Beck's, Spring Valley, Schmitt's
White Oak Dairy, and Forreston Dairy.
- Dr. J.D. Covell: Local doctor who operated a drug store.
- United Bretheren U.B. Church (from 1858-1912 located at
206 4th Ave.) Do any photos exist??
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have interesting information to share.
Our neighbor to the North . . . Stephenson County Breweries