Chester Township History & Genealogy
Trinity Lutheran School
Home
Early Township History
1864 Plat Map
1876 Plat Map
1897 Plat Map
1912 Plat Map
1955 Plat Map
1965-66 Plat Map
1995 Plat Map
1850 Census
Farming
Post Offices
Villages
Businesses
Business Advertising
Roads
The Railroads
Government
Fire Department
The Telephone & Other Utilities
Churches
Cemeteries
Schools
Organizations
Families
Biographies
Genealogies
Civil War Veterans
Crockery Lake
The Conklin Enterprise Newspaper
Snapshots Through the Years
Video Clips
2008 Michigan Apple Queen
Links
State History Award
Contact Me
Questions & Comments

In September 1869, Trinity Lutheran School started educating students, using the church building as a schoolhouse.  Miss Schmitt served as the first teacher.  The congregation also rented a room from Conrad Kraft.  Classes were held for two weeks in the room rented from Mr. Kraft and then two weeks at the church.  This arrangement was implemented to compensate for the longer travel distances for people living in the north.

1sttrinitylutheranschool.jpg
First Trinity Lutheran School, 1870-1950

In 1870, the congregation erected a school building on 16th Avenue, 1 miles north of the church.  Classes were conducted in this building until 1950.  The congregation began making plans to build a new school building in 1944.  Land adjoining the church property was purchased from John Lachmann, and ground was broken on March 27, 1949.  The first classes were held in the new building in 1950.  A large addition to the school was completed in 2003.  The addition contains a gymnasium and other areas.

trinitylutheranschool1951-2003.jpg
Trinity Lutheran School, 1950-2003

Trinity Lutheran School contains grades first through eighth.  Following graduation from Trinity Lutheran School, students continue their education in the local school district in which they reside.  Transportation to Trinity Lutheran School is provided by Sparta School District for students living within their district.  Transportation for students living in the other districts is provided by a bus owned by Trinity Lutheran.

trinitylutheranschoolstudents1965-1966.jpg
Trinity Lutheran School Students and Teachers, 1965-1966

trinitylutheranschoolstudents1965-1966list02.jpg

Trinity Lutheran Church, 1865-1965, a century of Grace, prepared by A. C. Stoppenhagen, 1966

Chester Township
Ottawa County
Michigan, USA