Many of the first settlers to arrive in Chester Township lived near an area
that became know as Big Springs. The location received its name from the many
flowing (artesian) wells found there. Spanning the border between Wright and
Chester Townships, a small settlement
quickly grew. Big Springs boasted a post office, general store, school and the first cemetery in the township.
When the village of Conklin
was established in 1886, the general store building was moved there. Although
the Big Springs School
remained open until 1968, the settlement itself ceased to exist in late 1891 when the post office closed.
Big Springs’ post office opened on May
18, 1850. This post office served for forty-one years until November 19, 1891.
Seven people served as postmasters in Big Springs, with two of them each serving
on two separate occasions. Postmasters serving the Big Spring
post office were: