A list of Acid / Alkaline
Forming Foods (list drawn from various sources)
The pH scale is from 0 to 14,
with numbers below 7 acidic and numbers above 7 alkaline. This chart is intended only as a general guide to alkalizing and
Alfalfa - Barley Grass - Beet Greens – Beets – Broccoli – Cabbage
– Carrot – Cauliflower – Celery - Chard Greens
Chlorella - Collard Greens
– Cucumber – Dandelions – Dulce - Edible Flowers – Eggplant - Fermented Veggies Garlic - Green Beans
- Green Peas – Kale – Kohlrabi – Lettuce – Mushrooms - Mustard Greens - Nightshade Veggies –
Onions - Parsnips (high glycemic) – Peas – Peppers – Pumpkin – Radishes – Rutabaga - Sea Veggies
Spinach, green – Spirulina – Sprouts - Sweet Potatoes – Tomatoes – Watercress - Wheat Grass - Wild
ALKALIZING ASIAN VEGETABLES
Daikon - Dandelion Root – Kombu – Maitake – Nori –
Reishi – Shitake – Umeboshi - Wakame
Apple – Apricot –
Avocado - Banana (high glycemic) – Berries – Blackberries – Cantaloupe - Cherries, sour Coconut, fresh –
Dates, dried - Figs, dried - Grapes - Grapefruit – Honeydew melon – Lemon
– Lime Muskmelons – Nectarine – Orange – Peach – Pear – Pineapple – Raisins –
Raspberries – Rhubarb – Strawberries Tangerine – Tomato - Tropical Fruits - Umeboshi Plums - Watermelon
Almonds – Chestnuts – Millet - Tempeh (fermented) - Tofu (fermented) - Whey
ALKALIZING SPICES & SEASONINGS
Chili Pepper – Cinnamon – Curry - Ginger - Herbs (all) – Miso – Mustard - Sea Salt - Tamari
Alkaline Antioxidant Water - Bee Pollen - Fresh Fruit Juice - Green Juices - Lecithin Granules
- Mineral Water Molasses, blackstrap - Probiotic Cultures - Soured Dairy Products - Veggie Juices
Calcium: pH 12 - Cesium: pH 14 - Magnesium: pH 9 - Potassium: pH 14 - Sodium: pH 14
Alkaline producing activities/emotions: Meditation, Prayer, Peace, happiness, joy, Kindness & Love
Corn – Lentils – Olives - Winter Squash
Blueberries - Canned or Glazed Fruits – Cranberries – Currants - Plums** - Prunes**
ACIDIFYING GRAINS, GRAIN PRODUCTS
Amaranth – Barley - Bran, oat - Bran, wheat – Bread – Corn
– Cornstarch - Crackers, soda - Flour, wheat - Flour, white - Hemp Seed Flour – Kamut – Macaroni –
Noodles – Oatmeal - Oats (rolled) – Quinoa - Rice (all) - Rice Cakes – Rye – Spaghetti - Spelt - Wheat Germ -
ACIDIFYING BEANS & LEGUMES
Almond Milk - Black Beans - Chick
Peas - Green Peas - Kidney Beans – Lentils - Pinto Beans - Red Beans - Rice Milk - Soy Beans - Soy Milk - White Beans
Butter – Cheese - Cheese, Processed - Ice Cream - Ice Milk
ACIDIFYING NUTS & BUTTERS
Cashews – Legumes - Peanut Butter –
Peanuts – Pecans – Tahini - Walnuts
ACIDIFYING ANIMAL PROTEIN
– Beef – Carp – Clams – Cod - Corned Beef – Fish – Haddock - Lamb – Lobster
– Mussels - Organ Meats Oyster - Pike – Pork –
Rabbit – Salmon – Sardines – Sausage – Scallops – Shellfish – Shrimp – Tuna –
Turkey – Veal - Venison
ACIDIFYING FATS & OILS
– Butter - Canola Oil - Corn Oil - Flax Oil - Hemp Seed Oil – Lard - Olive Oil - Safflower Oil - Sesame Oil -
Carob - Corn Syrup - Sugar
Beer - Hard Liquor – Spirits - Wine
ACIDIFYING OTHER FOODS
Catsup – Cocoa - Coffee - Mustard
– Pepper - Soft Drinks - Vinegar
ACIDIFYING DRUGS & CHEMICALS
– Chemicals - Drugs, Medicinal - Drugs, Psychedelic – Herbicides – Pesticides - Tobacco
ACIDIFYING JUNK FOOD
Beer: pH 2.5 - Coca-Cola: pH 2 - Coffee: pH 4
** These foods leave an alkaline
ash but have an acidifying effect on the body.
Acid producing activities/emotions: Overwork, Anger, Fear, Jealousy & Stress
There are several
versions of the Acidic and Alkaline Food chart to be found in different books and on the Internet. The following foods are
sometimes attributed to the Acidic side of the chart and sometimes to the Alkaline side. Remember, you don't need to adhere
strictly to the Alkaline side of the chart, just make sure a good percentage of the foods you eat come from that side.
Asparagus - Brazil Nuts - Brussel
Sprouts – Buckwheat – Chicken – Corn - Cottage Cheese – Eggs - Flax Seeds Green Tea - Herbal Tea –
Honey – Kombucha - Lima Beans - Maple Syrup – Milk – Nuts - Organic Milk (unpasteurized) - Potatoes, white
- Pumpkin Seeds – Sauerkraut - Soy Products - Sprouted Seeds -
Sunflower Seeds - Yogurt
Extremely Alkaline Forming Foods - pH 8.5 to 9.0
9.0 Lemons 1, Watermelon 2
8.5 Agar Agar 3, Cantaloupe, Cayenne
(Capsicum) 4, Dried
dates & figs, Kelp, Karengo, Kudzu root, Limes
Mango, Melons, Papaya, Parsley 5, Seedless grapes (sweet), Watercress, Seaweeds, Asparagus 6, Endive, Kiwifruit, Fruit juices 7, Grapes (sweet), Passion fruit, Pears (sweet), Pineapple, Raisins, Umeboshi plum, Vegetable
Moderate Alkaline - pH 7.5
8.0 Apples (sweet), Apricots, Alfalfa sprouts 9, Arrowroot, flour 10,
Avocados, Bananas (ripe), Berries, Carrots, Celery, Currants, Dates & figs (fresh), Garlic 11, Gooseberry, Grapes (less sweet), Grapefruit, Guavas, Herbs (leafy green),
Lettuce (leafy green), Nectarine, Peaches (sweet), Pears (less sweet), Peas (fresh sweet), Persimmon,
Sea salt (vegetable) 12, Spinach
7.5 Apples (sour), Bamboo shoots, Beans (fresh green), Beets, Bell Pepper, Broccoli, Cabbage;Cauli, Carob
13, Daikon, Ginger (fresh), Grapes (sour), Kale,
Kohlrabi, Lettuce (pale green), Oranges, Parsnip, Peaches (less sweet), Peas (less sweet), Potatoes & skin, Pumpkin (less
sweet), Raspberry, Sapote, Strawberry, Squash 14,
Sweet corn (fresh), Tamari 15, Turnip, Vinegar
(apple cider) 16
Slightly Alkaline to Neutral pH 7.0
7.0 Almonds 17, Artichokes (Jerusalem),
Barley-Malt (sweetener-Bronner), Brown Rice Syrup, Brussel Sprouts, Cherries, Coconut (fresh), Cucumbers, Egg plant, Honey
(raw), Leeks, Miso, Mushrooms, Okra, Olives ripe 18,
Onions, Pickles 19, (home made), Radish, Sea
salt 20, Spices 21, Taro, Tomatoes (sweet), Vinegar (sweet brown rice), Water Chestnut Amaranth,
Artichoke (globe), Chestnuts (dry roasted), Egg yolks (soft cooked), Essene bread 22, Goat's milk and whey (raw) 23, Horseradish, Mayonnaise (home made), Millet, Olive oil, Quinoa, Rhubarb,
Sesame seeds (whole) 24, Soy beans (dry),
Soy cheese, Soy milk, Sprouted grains 25, Tempeh, Tofu, Tomatoes (less sweet), Yeast (nutritional flakes)
Neutral pH 7.0 - Healthy Body Saliva pH Range is between 6.4 to 6.8 (on your pH test strips)
Butter (fresh unsalted), Cream
(fresh & raw), Margarine 26, Milk (raw
cow's) 27, Oils (except olive),
Extremely Acid Forming Foods - pH 5.0 to 5.5
5.0 Artificial sweeteners
5.5 Beef, Carbonated soft drinks & fizzy drinks 38, Cigarettes (tailor made), Drugs, Flour (white wheat) 39, Goat, Lamb, Pastries & cakes from white flour, Pork, Sugar (white)
40 Beer 34, Brown sugar 35, Chicken, Deer, Chocolate, Coffee 36, Custard with white sugar, Jams, Jellies, Liquor 37, Pasta (white), Rabbit, Semolina, Table
salt refined & iodized, Tea black, Turkey,
Wheat bread, White rice, White vinegar (processed).
Moderate Acid - pH 6.0 to 6.5
6.0 Cigarette tobacco (roll your own), Cream of Wheat (unrefined), Fish, Fruit juices with sugar, Maple syrup
(processed), Molasses (sulphured), Pickles (commercial), Breads (refined) of corn, oats, rice & rye, Cereals (refined),
Shellfish, Wheat germ, Whole Wheat foods 32, Wine 33, Yogurt
6.5 Bananas (green), Buckwheat, Cheeses (sharp), Corn & rice breads, Egg whole (cooked hard), Ketchup, Mayonnaise,
Oats, Pasta (whole grain), Pastry (wholegrain & honey), Peanuts, Potatoes (with no skins), Popcorn (with salt & butter),
Rice (basmati), Rice (brown), Soy sauce (commercial), Tapioca, Wheat bread (sprouted organic)
Slightly Acid to Neutral pH 7.0
7.0 Barley malt syrup, Barley, Bran, Cashews, Cereals (unrefined with honey-fruit-maple syrup), Cornmeal,
30, Fructose, Honey (pasteurized), Lentils,
Macadamias, Maple syrup (unprocessed), Milk (homogenized) and most processed dairy products, Molasses (unsulphered organic
Mustard, Pistachios, Popcorn & butter (plain), Rice or wheat crackers (unrefined), Rye (grain), Rye bread (organic sprouted),
(pumpkin & sunflower), Walnuts Blueberries, Brazil nuts, Butter (salted), Cheeses (mild & crumbly) 28, Crackers (unrefined rye), Dried beans (mung, adzuki, pinto, kidney, garbanzo)
29, Dry coconut, Egg whites, Goats milk (homogenized),
Olives (pickled), Pecans, Plums 30, Prunes
Match with the numbers above.
1. Excellent for EMERGENCY
SUPPORT for colds, coughs, sore throats, heartburn, & gastro upsets.
2. Good for a yearly fast. For several days eat whole
melon, chew pips well & eat also. Super alkalizing food.
3. Substitute for gelatin, more nourishing.
4. Stimulating, non-irritating body healer.
Good for endocrine system.
5. Purifies kidneys.
6. Powerful acid reducer detoxing to produce acid urine temporarily, causing alkalinity for the
Natural sugars give alkalinity. Added sugar causes juice to become acid-forming.
8. Depends on vege's content and sweetness.
9. Enzyme rich, superior digestibility.
calcium content. Cornflour substitute.
11. Elevates acid food 5.0 in alkaline direction.
12. Vegetable content raises alkalinity.
13. Substitute for coca; mineral rich.
squash rates 7.5. Butternut & sweeter squash rates 8.0.
15. Genuine fermented for 1½ years otherwise 6.0.
16. Raw unpasteurized is a digestive aid
to increase HCL in the stomach. 1 tablespoon, plus honey & water before meals.
17. Soak 12 hours, peel skin to eat.
18. Sundried, tree ripened, otherwise
Using sea-salt and apple cider vinegar.
20. Contains sea minerals. Dried at low temperatures.
21. Range from 7.0 to 8.0.
22. Sprouted grains are more alkaline.
Grains chewed well become more alkaline.
23. High sodium to aid digestion.
24. High levels of utilizable calcium. Grind before eating.
and digestibility higher.
26. Heating causes fats to harden and become indigestible.
27. High mucous production.
28. Mucous forming and hard to digest.
sprouted dry beans rate 7.0.
30. Contain acid-forming benzoic and quinic acids.
31. Full of iron.
32. Unrefined wheat is more alkaline.
33. High quality red wine, no more than
4 oz. daily to build blood.
34. Good quality, well brewed - up to 5.5. Fast brewed beers drop to 5.0.
35. Most are white sugars with golden
Organic, fresh ground-up to 5.5.
37. Cheaper brands drop to 5.0, as does over-indulgence.
38. Leaches minerals.
39. Bleached - has no goodness.