- Agave is a natural extract from the famous Mexican cactus. It is an excellent choice because of its “low glycemic index.
- Barley Malt Syrup is roughly half as sweet as honey or sugar. It is made from sprouted barley and has a nutty, caramel flavor.
- Blackstrap Molasses is a liquid by-product of the sugar refining process. It contains many of the nutrients of the sugar cane plant. It has a strong, distinct flavor.
- Brown Rice Syrup is a relatively neutral flavored sweetener that is roughly half as sweet as honey or sugar. It’s made from fermented brown rice.
- Maple syrup is created from forty gallons of sap from the maple tree to create one gallon of maple syrup. It is mineral rich and graded according to the color and flavor. Grade A is the mildest and lightest, and Grade C is the darkest and richest. It is good for baking.
- Sucanat is an abbreviation for “sugar cane natural.” It is a granular sweetener that consists of evaporated sugar cane juice. It has approximately the same sweetness as sugar. It retains most of the vitamins and minerals of the sugar cane.
- Stevia is a plant that originates in the Brazilian rainforest. The powdered form is between 200 and 400 percent sweeter than white sugar. It is non-caloric, does not promote tooth decay and is said to be an acceptable form of sugar for diabetics and those with blood sugar imbalances.
to determine how much subsitute sweetener should be used.
All Things Food | 419-636-0950 | email@example.com | 114 N Main St, Bryan, OH 43506